Thursday, January 21, 2010

Eventually cell companies will learn that they are just a dumb pipe for data, hopefully soon.

Years ago now I had a revelation when looking at my cell phone bill. I was paying $40 per month for 8 state roaming and around 1000 minutes, I had used a total of 140 minutes in the month the bill was for. Once my contract was up, I dropped that service and ported my number to a prepaid phone. Virgin Mobile had its downsides, but despite spotty coverage in SW MN (Sprint network) it was less than half of my old bill with the same usage.
Eventually I'd like to see the whole contract model disappear. You pay the same monthly fee whether or not you have a phone that is still subsidized. Right now T-Mobile offers plans that allow you to "bring your own phone" and actually pay LESS than the contract plans. The exact same situation I went through with Virgin Mobile.
http://mashable.com/2010/01/19/billshrink/
Hopefully devices like the Nokia N900 and Google's Nexus One can push the transition along.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/kafka-nexus-one
T-Mobile doesn't provide any service in SD, so we're stuck for now. Maybe I'll get a Nexus One and use it without a SIM card. At least it would be a big leap from my Palm Zire 72.

Posted via email from coryk's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment